Eucalyptus is known to most people as food for Australia’s native marsupial creature, koala bears. Its tree is also native to Australia, wherein more than 700 species can be found.
While identified as a source of food for various herbivores, its uses and benefits have been felt by humans as well especially when it comes to its health profits. Locals use eucalyptus as remedy for some health problems such as fever, cold, and sinus congestion.
In the earlier years, the oil coming from eucalyptus was used by medical professionals as a cleaning solution for urinary catheters. Indeed, eucalyptus has several medical benefits, thus many nations around the world have started using it in addressing various health issues.
Apart from the health benefits mentioned above, another area where it can be beneficial is in treating illnesses or difficulties involving the respiratory system because of its contents or properties.
Eucalyptus has anti-harmful and decongestant properties. It also contains compounds that have antispasmodic and expectorant. The combination of all those properties become beneficial because of its compound known as cineole, which is the known active component in eucalyptus. It helps in easing cough and curing some upper respiratory ailments.
Below are some of the medical conditions where eucalyptus can be used as a remedy.
- Because of the antioxidant contents of eucalyptus, it has been used by medical professionals in Thailand in strengthening a person’s immune system as it helps in fighting infection, which is important when a person has colds and flu and other types of illnesses.
- The eucalyptus oil, on the other hand, is known for its soothing properties, thus is used in giving temporary relief as vapor rub.
- When used as a tea, eucalyptus has some therapeutic qualities that can help relieve an irritated throat.
- Eucalyptus is also used to decongest a clogged nose or chest. It is helpful to loosen phlegm, thus giving a person an immediate comfort. An inhaler like the Poy-Sian Mark II has all these qualities.
- It is also used as an ingredient for most oral cold and cough remedies like cough syrups or oral lozenges.
- Eucalyptus is also used as an ingredient for some supplements and other over-the-counter medicinal products in Thailand. The said eucalyptus supplements are good to prevent cough, bronchitis, and other respiratory problems. It is also ideal in giving interim relief for nasal congestion like the Siang Pure inhaler.
- The leaves are used as herbal remedy for sore throat, bronchitis, and sinusitis by gargling it with warm water.